Thursday, December 28, 2006

BEARING MY CROSS

Here is my explanation for this posting:

I very much want the Cal Golden Bears to beat Texas A&M in the Holiday Bowl this evening. For one thing, I'm an Old Blue, an alum. For another thing, I want all Texas teams to lose all the time, for various reasons, but mainly because of the Cowboys and Bush and all that "Don't mess with" horseshit.

But I very much fear Cal will get its ass kicked by A&M. For one thing, because Cal looked very mediocre during its final three games, while A&M was knocking off Texas. For another thing, and this is far more significant:

Fate Loathes Me, And Works It So That Whatever I Wish To Occur Will Not Happen. It is the defining goal of Fate to see that I am disappointed.

Ah, but even more than that:

Fate Loathes Me, And Works It So That Whatever I Predict Will Happen Will Not Take Place. Exceeding even the disappointment goal, Fate's ultimate goal is to see to it that I look stupid and foolish.

Therefore, I hereby publicly and in black and white declare that Texas A&M will win the Holiday Bowl. Only an idiot could call this outcome wrong.

Anything for the team.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am actually taping the game, though no Old Blue I, so I am writing as if the game were in doubt though actually it is nearly over. But from a deep philosophical point of view -- and Glo will back me up here -- my action at this point in time will have the same effect on the outcome that your earlier declaration will. And what I am doing is: taking the points. I don't even know who's favored, but I am: taking the points. That should confuse God long enough for the Bears to slip through.

December 28, 2006 at 7:41 PM  
Blogger B. Wieder said...

Not only does Glo back up Robo's point, she has said so ad nauseum.

December 30, 2006 at 4:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home