Saturday, July 16, 2005

UNTHINKING OUT LOUD

Sending...sending...sending...if there's anyone out there, I'm QXL145 here in Queensland, Australia. We've not heard a word from the northern hemisphere since...

Whoops, just channeling chapter 16 of "On The Beach."

As a great sense of detachment, much like that which Tom DeLay feels for the truth, begins to lift like a haze from my little moonlet in the vast blogiverse, two brief items.

1) There was a report in the news last week that scientists now believe they have the means to artificially "grow" meat--beef, chicken, pork, the usual suspects--through a kind of culturing process, in the laboratory. There would be all manner of benefits to this--no pharmaceutical adulteration, no PETA bombers, etc.--but I couldn't get past the quaint fact that there was a news story headlined "Lab Grown Meat" that wasn't about steroids.

2) It wasn't until I saw that "we're still pals" commitment photo of Bush and Rove walking so chummily across the White House lawn yesterday that I was struck by the revelation, looking at the two of them, of just exactly who and what they are: It's Spanky and Alfalfa, folks, all grown up and running the country.

1 Comments:

Blogger ....J.Michael Robertson said...

Because I have an RSS feed, I can enjoy the Bob Wieder line of All-Natural Comedy Products fresh off the vine. Now, in the case of a Spanky and Alfalfa joke, topicality is perhaps not of the greatest urgency. But someday it will be, and -- thanks to RSS -- I will be among the first on my block to savor that topicality. But until that time: What was the damn dog's name?

July 17, 2005 at 9:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home